[Shop-talk] Electrical Panel Question

To: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Electrical Panel Question
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 13:42:43 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

My house has 200-amp electrical service.  The wires
come from the pole to the meter on the side of the
house, and then to the circuit breaker panel in the
basement.  The panel is a 70's era "ITC Pushmatic".
The odd thing about it is that it has no single master
circuit breaker, but about six: One for each big 220v
load like the stove, the dryer, and my air compressor,
and two 60 amp breakers for two sub-busses that have
all the 15 and 20 amp lighting and outlet circuits.

The funny thing is that all these "primary disconnect
breakers" add up to 280 amps, which is more than the
200 amp service I have.  So what is protecting my
electrical service?  Could there be 200 amp fuses in
the meter box?  The meter box is a bit bigger than the
meter, but it has no disconnect switch on it, and it
is sealed by the electric company.

Thanks,
Doug