Re: [Shop-talk] plumping question

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] plumping question
From: pethier@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:07:34 +0000
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
> At 04:09 AM 10/29/2007 +0000, Phil Ethier wrote:
>
> >You don't have basements in your part of the world?
>
> Nope!  I'm in Virginia Beach, VA,

I understand.  Here most houses have basements.  Those that don't are built on
a concrete slab.  A house built above an open space would have frozen water
pipes.

> >I suggest you get the sewer line televised.  When there are problems, there
> >is a reason.  A well-designed system in proper condition never needs the
> >services of a sewer cleaner like Roto-Rooter.
>
> We have quite a few trees and bushes around the sewer pipe.  So my guess
> is that their roots got into the drain line.

Typically the method of a sewer-system demise.  Sewer services used to be made
of either clay or, for the well-heeled, cast iron.  The pipes were made with
bells and fitted together.  The sealing material never lasted, the pipes leaked
and the trees headed for a free lunch.  The roots would either clog the pipe or
break the pipe or both.  Rainwater would infiltrate, taking soil with it.  In
some cases, rats would find the holes this caused.  You can determine if a rat
hole connects to a failed sewer with a smoke bomb and a leaf blower.  The smoke
will appear from the house vent or in a manhole.  Sometimes the cavity formed
by the bad sewer does not appear on the surface.  We had a case up on Rice
Street in which a guy parked his car in the front yard and it went right down
to the door handles.  He did not know his sewer had failed; his house drains
all still worked.  The clay typically used here was only 2 feet long, so there
are many joints and they all fail.

Nowadays, contractors use Schedule 40 PVC pipe.  It comes in 10- and 20-foot
sticks and therefore requires few joints.  The joints are made with the same
plastic cement used by plumbers on inside drain work.  They don't leak and the
trees don't know they are there.  In my 20 years in Public Works, I have seen
hundreds of failures of clay services and and can not remember any failures of
PVC services.

If you have your service televised and it has some bad spots, I'd recommend you
have it all replaced with Schedule 40 PVC.  It's probably cheaper in your area
because your sewer services are probably much shallower than ours.  We require
that the service be 8 feet deep at the property line.  Schedule 40 PVC is much
smoother and slicker than clay, so  we allow 4-inch house services.  Often the
contractor can slide this insde the old 6-inch clay.

Replace that old stuff now and your great-grandchildren won't need RotoRooter.
:-)

Call up your local sewer utility and ask to see your original permit.  We have
them back to about 1880, but some cities don't keep records this well.  Also
ask if they have a list of outfits who TV sewer services, and if they have any
special loan programs.  Here in Saint Paul, we will loan you the money for ten
years, regardless of your income.  There are other City departments here that
will make no-interest loans based on income.

When you are REALLY bored, ask me about sandrock sewers.  We have some of them
here and experienced civil engineers from elsewhere go "huh?" when they hear me
talk about sewers 150 feet deep.  :-)

--
Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul Minnesota  USA
1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban,