Re: [Shop-talk] getting tile and mortar off a slab?

Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] getting tile and mortar off a slab?
From: "Brian Warrick" <bwarrick@conveyorengineering.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 07:50:46 -0600
>this stuff is on there like nothing I've ever seen, and it's only
slightly thinner and a satillo tile.  I'm getting up >>the tile--slowly,
but a lot of the mortar is proving permanent.  won't yield to a hammer,
and I'm afraid too much more pounding is just going to gouge the slab.
chisels and scrapers might as well be made of plastic.

>any ideas on how to get back to a smooth slab?  muriatic acid?  I
thought of renting a grinder if I could, but some of >the bathrooms are
probably too small for it to do much good in there.

Scott,

This is probably too late to be of any good, but I saw this machine in a
trade magazine the other day.  Maybe there is someplace a guy can rent
one?

http://www.blastrac.com/en-us/pc-119-27-bs-50.aspx

This place seems to have all sorts of neat equipment for doing the job
you are describing.

Good luck.

Brian