[Shop-talk] Stud and pipe sensors

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Stud and pipe sensors
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 11:33:14 -0600
I need a good stud and pipe sensor.  The current need is for locating
electrical conduit.

My 1871 house was moved and rebuilt in 1951, with rock lath (looks like small
sheets of 3/8" drywall) and plaster.  the total thickness varies from about
7/8" to 1-1/8".

Old fashioned magnetic stud sensors aren't too successful at finding nails in
the rock lath, deep below rough and finish plaster.  The 25-year-old "high
tech" sensor I have tried is virtually useless on these walls.

There are lots of modern stud sensors available, from Zircon and others.  Some
purport to be able to sense pipes through drywall.  Is anything currently
available likely to be able to find conduit let into studs, behind my
extra-thick walls ?

Of course, the conduit system is grounded at multiple points (some of it in
the concrete floor), but water pipe runs in the ground, and water departments
use a transmitter of some sort to help locate pipe in the ground.  Is
something like that an option ?

Thanks!
Karl