Re: [Shop-talk] Stud and pipe sensors

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Stud and pipe sensors
From: "scottmryan" <scottmryan@netzero.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 16:56:12 -0600
>I need a good stud and pipe sensor.  The current need is for locating
>electrical conduit.
> My 1871 house was moved and rebuilt in 1951, with rock lath (looks like
> small
> sheets of 3/8" drywall) and plaster.  the total thickness varies from
> about
> 7/8" to 1-1/8".
<snip> > Of course, the conduit system is grounded at multiple points (some
of it in
> the concrete floor), but water pipe runs in the ground, and water
> departments
> use a transmitter of some sort to help locate pipe in the ground.  Is
> something like that an option ?
> Thanks!  Karl

I have seen transmitter/reciever combinations for finding wiring pairs with
ethernet cable that might work attaching the transmitter to the pipe
somewhere away from ground (top floor or something), I would suspect that
the varying thickness of your walls will cause the density (zircon, etc)
detectors to have fits, I know our house has varying thicknesses of plaster
or sheetrock over lathing making it almost mpossible to find studs (using 2
different 3 or so year old stud detectors including one with 'deep scan'). I
was not able to find conduit behind our walls, either. Probably an old style
metal detector (the ones to find coins (or aluminum foil<grin>) underground)
would work.

Good luck!  Scott R