Re: [Shop-talk] Electrostatic filters?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electrostatic filters?
From: "Jack Brooks" <jibjib@att.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:48:41 -0800
Dave C wrote:
Now that the heating season is starting up I'm thinking about an
electrostatic filter for the furnace.  Any info?  It would be going into a
conventional forced air propane furnace system, no A/C, one story house with
the ducts in the floor and the return in the attic.  Furnace is in the
garage.  The house is about 2500 sq ft, and we also use a wood stove for
supplemental heat when it's in the 30s or lower outside. Two big indoor
dogs, no kids, no huge allergy issues, just looking for something that will
keep the place cleaner.

Dave, living in WA, without A/C (us too) you are either heating or have the
windows open; there's not much in between <sigh>.  When they are open, all
bets are off.  Fortunately, we have few flying insects and fairly clean air,
so leaving them open is a great option.  When they are close, a good filter
will do an ok job.

What I do is to use a standard cheapo filter, followed by a high allergen
(very fine) filter, changing the cheapo twice as often as the expensive
filter to keep the filter costs reasonable.  The cheapo grabs the big chunks
and keeps the fine (expensive) filter from clogging as quickly.  We use the
high filtration filter for cleanliness, not allergies. I was initially
concerned about the pressure drop (load on the fan) of two filters in-line,
but checked it with a Magnehelic DP gage and deemed it fine, but don't
recall what it was any more.  The dust is no horrible, once we shut the
windows, but not nearly as good as homes I've owned with hot water baseboard
heat.

I am following this thread too, as we are forced air natural gas, and if the
electrostatic is a winner, I'll be on board too.

Jack
Covington, WA
SE King County