Re: [Shop-talk] Rebuild a hand drill?

To: Mark Sansouci <msansouc@rochester.rr.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Rebuild a hand drill?
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 19:29:38 -0800 (PST)
I bet this drill does NOT have a 3-wire grounded power
cord.   The insulation may be deteriorated, and it may
be impractical to rebuild in such a way to ensure that
it is really safe to use.

Is the existing power cord 100% OK?  My old house had
a  nice sturdy old fluorescent light fixture (with a
porcelain enameled steel reflector!)  I took it apart
one day to check the wiring.   The power cord looked
fine on the outside, but when I opened it up and
looked at the actual connections to the ballast and
sockets, the rubber insulation just crumbled off the
wires.

Doug