Re: [Shop-talk] #!@#*@* Cordless Drill Batteries!!!

To: pete@partnercomm.com, Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] #!@#*@* Cordless Drill Batteries!!!
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:13:05 -0800 (PST)
--- Peter Murray <pete@partnercomm.com> wrote:

> Offended at the thought of tossing a good cordless,
> I just took the packs to the Batteries Plus (here in
> Fairfax, VA) and the folks there replaced the cells
> in my two packs for $80 (with a corporate discount).

But I bet that you could get a new drill with two new
batteries for $79.95 on sale...

> There is no reason you couldn't pick up replacement
> cells (online or locally) and rebuild the pack
> yourself, if you can afford the time...

I opened up one pack.  The internal construction is
rather complex.  Actually, at $40 each, they would not
even be overpriced, based on what I saw inside.
I have replaced nicads in other things in the past,
but these pack have too many connections to make it
worth the trouble for me.

Doug