Re: [Shop-talk] #!@#*@* Cordless Drill Batteries!!!

To: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] #!@#*@* Cordless Drill Batteries!!!
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 22:47:55 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Doug Braun wrote:
> Is it even worth trying to replace just the batteries, or should I just
> check the perfectly good drill and charger and get something different?
> Is there any other line of cordless drills being sold today where the
> batteries can be expected to last more than 3 years (and still be
> available then)?  Are the newfangled Lithium cells any better?
>
> Or should I just get a good 1/2" chuck corded drill? I rarely use my
> drill more than 20 feet from an outlet anyway.  Any recommendations on
> brands or models?  I have a corded drill, but it is a $19.95
> single-speed non-reversible Black&Decker one that my wife bought before
> we were married.  I think I am due for an upgrade...

A corded drill is always a good thing to have.  Really nice for those
situations where your cordless drill batteries are all dead or you're
doing some really heavy duty drilling.

Of course, a cordless drill is better in every other case.

:-)

I don't know about other brands, but my Milwaukee 18V stuff I've had for
>5 years still has batteries available today and has put up with
everything I've thrown at it.  You can also get neat stuff like a vehicle
charger, etc.

But, at $240 (I think it was) for the 18v drill kit I bought, you're
talking a bunch of money more than the typically $80 craftsman/whatever
cordless.  Only you can decide if its worth the money... At the time it
was to me, because I also had an 18v Milwaukee cordless impact for use at
the track (and back then, the Milwaukee was about the only game in town)
and I wanted to be able to use the same batteries.

If I were getting only a drill, I don't know if it'd be worth the money or
not for my "homeowner that does projects" level of use.  I'd be pretty
sorely tempted to at least try one of the cheapy harbor freight choices.

Whichever way I went, I think I'd either be getting the true chinese crap
at Harbor Freight or the true name brand pro stuff... The craftsman, black
& decker, etc. stuff seems to me to be chinese crap with a brand name that
was good twenty years ago.

Mark