Re: [Shop-talk] Sealing A/C registers

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Sealing A/C registers
From: PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:40:43 -0500
Hmm, magnetic paint, sounds like an idea!  Let me know how that goes.  I'm
guessing you might need to experiment with how many coats to put on to get the
magnetic material to stick.

I'm sealing off the A/C vents in the ceiling b/c the louvers don't close
completely on them, and in the heating season, I don't want heat to rise into
them (even just a little bit).

... And b/c every year I find more ways to get frugal with heating oil, and
find more comfort in the house (no drafts and less heat loss).  And as far as
I can tell, it's starting to make a huge difference, I'm using about half of
what I was 6 years ago.  Every little bit counts I guess.

PJ> Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 12:25:29 -0800> From: doug@dougbraun.com> Subject:
Re: [Shop-talk] Sealing A/C registers> To: pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com> > I have a
similar problem: I want to seal off the> louvered opening for a whole-house
attic fan. I had> assumed the frame in the upstairs hall ceiling was> steel,
and I prepared a 3' x 3' square of foam-core> board, with a magnetic strip all
the way around the> edge. Then I realized the frame was aluminum. :-(> > I got
a pint of this "magnetic paint" from the> hardware store. I guess it has iron
dust in it. I'm> planning to paint this on the louver frame and topcoat> it
with white paint. Hopefully it will not look too> ugly> and the magnets will
actually stick to it...> > Doug> > > --- PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
wrote:> > > Anyone bought or devised a way to seal off ceiling> > A/C vents
made of aluminum> > - that the usual magnets won't stick to?> > > > PJ