Re: [Shop-talk] Tivo Talk

To: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tivo Talk
From: mpless@servo.ucsd.edu (Marcus Pless)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:52:12 -0800 (PST)
On Jan 21,  2:25pm, Steve Shipley wrote:
> Subject: Tivo Talk
>
> I haven't paid much attention to my Tivo but I did upgrade to a Series2
> last year since they allowed me to transfer my lifetime subscription.
> So now I have a Philips ptv300 that is sitting idle.
>
> I knew these things were upgradable but I didn't realize they were
> networkable.
> Accessing Rhapsody from the Tivo has been a pleasant surprise.
>
> I've always wanted a computer and TV for the shop and the Tivo would make
> it just that much cooler.  I did a cursory Google and found a kit.
>
> Could you provide a few more details, links, and/or recommendations?
>
>-- End of excerpt from Steve Shipley

I bought a "TurboNET" network card from 9thTee
(http://www.9thtee.com/turbonet.htm).

I suspect that there are other things one can do with a networked
Series 1 Tivo, but my main goal was to allow the Tivo to get it's
listing data via the internet, and do away with the reliance on a
wired phone line. The TurboNET card worked as advertised. I installed
the card and used the optional Connect Kit to move the ethernet
connection outside of the box (this is not necessary, but it makes
things a bit cleaner). Version 3 of the Tivo software already has
support for this network card built in; all I had to do was plug in
the card and get it wired to my router (it needs a DHCP server),
start up the Tivo, enter in a special "dialing prefix", and my Tivo
no longer needs a phone line to get the listing data.

--Marcus