Re: [Shop-talk] 9,500 kWh of production in first year

To: "Shop Talk List" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 9,500 kWh of production in first year
From: "old dirtbeard" <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 21:27:46 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "Patton Dickson" <57healey@gmail.com>
To: "Wayne" <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Cc: "Shop Talk List" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 11:25 AM

> We don't get the major tax credits in Texas that you get in CA, but I
> would be interested if it gets down to a 5 to 10 year ROI.  The
> geothermal heat pumps would really be a boost, but system cost is too
> high here at this time.
>
> I can't complain too much, based on lots of state and federal backing,
> Texas is now the #1 producer of wind power, and the growth is
> accelerating.
>
> With our outrageous summers, the trend here is radiant heat barriers.
> I may try the ceramic paint this spring.
>
> Patton

Patton,

One nice thing about the PV arrays on your roof is that they sit 4-6 inches
above the roof so that air flow underneath them will cool them (they
generally are efficiency rated at 68F degrees, and their efficiency drops as
the temperature rises).

As a result, they functionally as tremendously effective "sun shades" for
your roof, totally blocking the sun from your roof where they are mounted
and they circulate cool air between them and your roof. Even on a "Texas
summer day," the roof under your panels will be cool to the touch.

This can decrease attic temperatures greatly and also reduce the amount of
electricity you need to use for AC (here you might be able to size your
array smaller based upon the AC energy savings). This would be even more
important if you have vaulted ceilings on a south facing exposure.

I know someone who lives in Woodland Hills, CA, where it can get to 118F
degrees, his house has vaulted ceilings and faces north-south. You need
about 80-90 sq.ft. per kW of array, so for every kW you generate, you also
shade up to 90 sq. ft. of your roof from the blazing sun. It is a win-win.

best,

doug