Re: [Shop-talk] It's spring...

To: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] It's spring...
From: wolfeb@verizon.net
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 07:51:25 -0500 (CDT)
>>  I haven't yet tried running the circular saw with the masonry  blade
>> over a brick to see what happens.

I did. The result was predictable. After about 30 minutes of creating
brick dust, the cheapo sleeve bearing in my Craftsman gave out. Sorry
Honey, gotta run to the store and pick me up a nice Porter Cable to
replace it with. While I was there, I rented their wet saw for the day
and got all the pieces fit. Piece of cake. But wear gloves. That same
grit that ruined the bearing will just plain wear your finger tips off.
Its VERY painful, but only after the fact. Don't ask me how I know.  ;)

The brick layers for our house would just pick up a brick and smack it
hard with the straight edge of their trowel breaking off the majority of
the brick. Flip it over and trim the other edge with a similar, but less
violent blow. Much faster. Less accurate. Practice makes perfect. YMMV.