Re: [Shop-talk] resistance (tong type) spot welders

To: "Mike Rambour" <mikey@b2systems.com>, "shop-talk"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] resistance (tong type) spot welders
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 16:45:28 -0400
I bought the H-F unit to spot weld on the sills & pillars for my MGA.

It works adequately for my purpose. I made a few test welds using
scraps of sheet metal then tested them to destruction. They were hard
enough to destroy to satisfy me. BTW, I also used 'weld through'
primer between the pieces. It does burn away the primer in the heat
affected zone but didn't seem to adversely affect the spot welds. Keep
in mind the unit is quite heavy -  a factor if you must contort into
odd positions or make long reaches to make the welds. Also, the sheet
metal should fit together well in order to make good spot welds. Don't
use the tong's clamping force to draw the parts into contact.

H-F does sell a set of 'extended reach' tongs. They are not available
in the retail stores though. And now I can't find them on their web
page.

Where are you in cyberspace? You are welcome to borrow mine but it is
probably not worth shipping vs buying one on sale at H-F.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell