[Shop-talk] sheared bolts...I hate 'em

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] sheared bolts...I hate 'em
From: Traci Pearson <pearsontechcomm@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 16:41:28 -0600
I've had my share of sheared bolts on 510s, and
in the past I always had someone else extract
them for me. But I want to learn to do it on myself.

This is a short 10 mm bolt that I know I didn't
really torque down, but age and vibration and
heat... Anyway, how can I get ahold of and back
out the bolt part that's left inside? The bolt
sheared below the lip of the hole, so there's
nothing sticking out to grab on to.

I figured I'd start with some Liquid Wrench, but
what's the best way to proceed from there? It's
in an awkward place; I don't know if I could get
a drill bit (or attachment) straight onto it. Maybe my Dremel?

What about those kits such as a GrabIt?

Any ideas/techniques/advice are greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Traci Pearson
Pearson Technical Communication
Writing, Editing, Information Design  Print and Online
pearsontechcomm@comcast.net
(303) 410-9101

When something can be read without great effort,
great effort went into its writing.
         ~ Enrique Jardiel Poncela