Re: [Shop-talk] Service Line Protection Programs?

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Service Line Protection Programs?
From: Dave Russell <rusd@sitestar.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:12:38 -0600
I don't know about the sewer line. Mine is 50 year old Transite. It has
never caused a problem.

Our water meter is at the curb. The line from meter to house is the
owners responsibility.
In 1985 the galvanized iron pipe sprung a leak. It first showed as an
increasingly large bulge in the lawn sod. It got to about 10 ft. in
diameter & 10 inches high. You could walk on the raised area & feel is
spring. Poked a couple of holes in the sod & geysers errupted.

Plumber dug a few holes down to the water line, about 5 ft. deep.
Pinholes in the galvanizing had allowed rust through. The pipe was 30
years old at the time. Plumber replaced the line with Polybuteline or
some such. Large deep trench across entire front yard. Water company, at
the time, removed the $500 for extra consumption on the water bill. I
don't know how they handle it now. I never subscribed to the "water
guard" insurance program.

Last year, my neighbors waterline sprung a leak. Plumbers spent several
days trenching & replacing the line. He had some kind of water company
insurance plan that paid the entire bill. I guess you have to balance
the cost of insurance against the very high cost of replacing a line.
You could get estimates for current line replacement costs to help make
a decision. Whether your present line is plastic, copper, iron, or? will
have a bearing on how much longer it may last.

Dave