[Shop-talk] dust in engine?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] dust in engine?
From: "old dirtbeard" <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 11:11:03 -0700
Hi guys,

So I screwed up -- I rebuilt my '74 TR6 engine from the ground up (crank
grind, balanced, magnafluxed, new cam, valves, pistons, rockers, rocker shaft,
oil pump, etc.) about two years ago.It was all done with assembly lube and
coated with oil.

Before I could reinstall it, we bought new house, moved, had to set-up the new
garage, etc., and now am ready to drop it in. It has been sitting inside a
clean garage in SoCal covered with a tarp, but I realized that I had not
plugged the spark plug holes.

So a long story short, fully rebuilt engine has been sitting for a couple
years and clearly some dust, insects, debris could have made it into the spark
plug holes. I have used the air hose nozzle to blow out the cylinders and I
see my options as:
  1.. Tear the head off again and inspect
  2.. Buy a $300 borescope and look inside at which point I still may need to
tear the head off
  3.. Option 2 but try to borrow/rent a borescope
  4.. Sequentially open a valve for each cylinder, blow it out with air and
hope for the best
  5.. Wash it out with agitene and option 4 above
  6.. Your recommendation?
I am not worried about a spider being in there as the combustion will take
care of it, but there clearly could be dust stuck to the oil that the air
nozzle would not dislodge. What do you think? Thank you.

best,

shook
'72 BSA B50SS
'74 Triumph TR6