Re: [Shop-talk] dust in engine?

To: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] dust in engine?
From: "old dirtbeard" <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 14:24:36 -0700
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
To: "old dirtbeard" <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>; <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2008 1:59 PM

> You say it was covered with a tarp during storage, thus the likelihood
> that anything significant fell inside is small.
>
> Removing the head will give you peace of mind for the cost of a gasket
> set. Plus it'd probably be easier to re-lube the camshaft then
> (perhaps more important that a little dust in the cylinders).
>
> If you'd rather not remove the head, I'd suggest pouring in some light
> oil/solvent (perhaps ATF?) to rinse the cylinders out. Shake it all
> about then suck out what you can. Re-lube the camshaft then spin the
> motor with the spark plugs out to expel any remaining oil/solvent.
> Position some rags to catch any oil that comes out. You say it's not
> currently installed. Why not drain out any oil in the sump then rinse
> the cylinders with the engine upside down?
>
> Eric Russell
> Mebane, NC
> http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell

Hi Eric,

Actually I had just pulled the sump pan off and and did you what you are
recommending.There was a little dust stuck to the sump pan as well. I feel
much better now.

I looked at the cam (with the sump off) and it still is covered very well
the assembly lube I used (I never filled it with oil). It must be pretty
good stuff. It is sort of cool to look back inside an engine you built two
years ago and have it still look just like you left it. Sad it has taken me
two years to get back to it, but I think all is well.

I put some agitene through the spark plug holes, spun the crank, blew it out
with air several times. If there is anything left in there, I will think of
as talc that I intentionally tossed into the carb to help seat the rings. :)

Thanks for all the advice -- I just felt so stupid when I saw the open plug
holes.

best,

doug