Re: [Shop-talk] How to remove surface rust over entire car?

To: "'Mark Andy'" <mark@sccaprepared.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] How to remove surface rust over entire car?
From: "Gerald Brazil" <gerrybraz@cablespeed.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:00:58 -0400
Back a long long time ago when I first got into restoring old sports cars
there was a local service called "Redi-Strip"  they used a total immersion
electrolytic system for rust  removal...it was fantastic because it even
removed deeply buried rust. I even had them clean wire wheels and when I had
to remove a few bent spokes I found the metal under the spoke nut as clean
as the other metal. Metal came out of the tank as clean as the day it was
made. On the down side, if the rust pits were very deep, you could get pin
holes, but with the metal so clean they were easy to fill.

His main cash cow was GM, who would send him stuff  that got  caught in the
rain, but  then GM changed to JIT and they didn't have stuff getting left
out in the delivery yards to rust. With only the old car buffs to support
him, it wasn't enough.....

If you are fortunate enough to find such a system operating in your area,
try it on a few small parts and I think you will be sold.