Re: [Shop-talk] How to remove surface rust over entire car?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] How to remove surface rust over entire car?
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 15:54:29 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

How much time are we talking about here to do a fairly extensive rollcage
and areas of the car's unibody that have been modified?

Part of why the car is sitting instead of being worked on is that we're up
to our eyeballs in projects these days and have a 1.5 year old that can't
be out in the shop unless someone is holding him.

I was really hoping for some kinda "take it to this kinda place, pay them
$500, and that's what you need" type of deal... Like I can devote a couple
afternoons to this, but not that much more time.

Soda blasting?  Is that more like what I want?

Mark

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Ben Zwissler wrote:

> Agree with the approach below and would add that your local body shop will
> have cleaners, conditioners and preps for bare metal.  I bought a TR4 body
> tub that had been soda blasted and then left to sit for several years
> (indoors).  I explained what I had and they sold me what I needed.  The
> first one I applied smelled mostly like what I remembered phosphoric acid
> smelled like. The price wasn't bad and I was sure I wouldn't use anything
> incompatible with the paint.
>
> Ben Zwissler
> bjzwissler@comcast.net
> Columbus, IN