Re: [Shop-talk] water heater troubleshooting

To: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] water heater troubleshooting
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 03:15:40 +0000
so you think I should or should not replace the thermocouple?  I'm looking at
the main burner and it's not firing at all, for whatever reason, but the pilot
is on and seems fine.  I believe the thermocouple should be in the pilot flame,
right?  as in it's got to be hot to work, right?

can/should I shut off the gas and disassemble the main burner to see if it's
clogged?  I don't know what else might be up with the heater, but the burner is
definitely not coming on, and it's not getting gas because I spent a good chunk
of today trying to light it manually with a match.  the gas is not getting
turned on to the burner.  can I jump the thermocouple inputs to see if it turns
on the gas to the main burner?

I ask (as opposed to just replacing it) because lowes and home depot here each
have one thermocouple (the same kind) that is a different brand than my heater
and the people at both stores were evasive about whether it'd work on mine.
before I start taking things apart or scouring the planet for one that fits my
heater I thought I'd try to get smart for once and see if it's worth it.

if it's not the thermocouple or something in the 'thermostat' box that's easy
to fix this thing gets a dirt nap, but I'm really hoping to get it working
tomorrow--we're under tropical storm fay right now and cold showers are getting
old already.

From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>