Re: [Shop-talk] Levels

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Levels
From: "Brian Warrick" <bwarrick@conveyorengineering.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 06:55:20 -0600
>I'm wondering why you want such a long one to start with.  The more
usual 3'
>level is adequate for most DIY type projects.

>> Am I over thinking the problem, just go get one and
>> get started already?

>IMO, yes.  Just pick up an inexpensive aluminum level and get on with
it.

>Just a thought, you might want to look at what's available pre-fab.  I
got a
>kit from Home Depot that sounds like it might meet your needs.  The
shelves
>are just 5/8" pulpboard, but they are supported by stout steel on all 4
>sides (and could be easily replaced with 3/4" OSB if desired).  I've
had
>some cylinder heads stacked on a shelf for over a year now, and it
hasn't
>sagged at all.

As I suspected, I was overthinking the problem.  I hadn't thought of the
suggestion of how to check the level at the store.  That helps a lot!

I had thought of some of the pre-fab kits, but a buddy of mine gave me
three pieces of particle board shelving 2' wide by 8' long.  I have some
assorted 2x4's sitting around, so I am mostly set for materials.  Plus,
I would like the experience, even with something so simple.

Thanks for all the advice.

Brian