Re: [Shop-talk] Levels

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Levels
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 09:39:39 -0400
Mark Andy wrote:
> I've noticed there are two kinds of tool junkies...
> There's the kind that likes the tools they have to be name brand, top of
> Then there's the kinds that likes to have all sorts of different tools,
> the right tool for the right job, even if the job doesn't happen all that

To get off on a little tangent:  I'm all for "buy American" but it seems
most of us can't afford that any more, myself included and I'm not poor.

I'm a computer programmer who's spent much of the last 20 years in
manufacturing ERP applications and I've spent more years than I'd like
doing "cost accounting" type things.  And I haven't seen the labor costs
being all that outrageous.  I don't grasp how they're shipping this crap
half way around the planet and still selling it cheaply.  Unless it's
some communist plot.  So why are we all friendly with China but still
concerned about Cuba??

We invented the industrial revolution and mass production 100+ years
ago, but for the last 25 we can't sustain it?????  What the hell is
going on?

Back to the topic:  I'm mixed.  I have mostly Craftsman hand tools;
have a few DeWalts (drill, miter box) that I *really* like, though
neither brand is considered "premium".  And I have a lot of cheap stuff
from Harbor Freight, Auto Zone and similar places.  For as often as I
use it, a cheap approximation of the correct tool is better than beating
on it with a hammer!

   -Wayne