Re: [Shop-talk] mig welder

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] mig welder
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 14:09:29 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008, scott.hall@comcast.net wrote:
> so I was going to buy the miller 180...because I thought that's the one
> I wanted (clarke is a knockoff, apparently).
>
> it occurred to me I never asked here.
>
> so: which mig do you have, and which one would you get if you could do
> it again? I'm looking to do this just the once, and I'd like to make it
> the last mig purchased.
>
> and then, where'd you get it? the local guys are nice to talk to, but
> not worth the 100% increase over ebay at al.

I have a Lincoln SP175 Plus.  If I were doing it again, I'd lean toward
the Miller 212 or the Lincoln 215 styles.  They're significantly more
money (not quite double the cost I think), but they've got more power &
more duty cycle while they do it, plus tend to be compatible with all the
"real" optional stuff.  For instance, I can't buy a spool gun for my
SP175.

I ended up buying mine as a floor model, but www.weldingmart.com seems to
have pretty good prices from what I've seen.  I've bought consumables from
them and always been happy.

Mark