Re: [Shop-talk] mig welder

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] mig welder
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 01:01:01 +0000 (UTC)
well, I've got a miller ab/p buried in the back of the garage, which is what I
learned to tig weld with. it's got a spool gun, stick lead, etc. it also seems
to be wired for three phase, which I don't have. but when I get the roundtuits
after the move, I'll dig it out and should be covered for anything big and
stick stuff, and al/spoolgun mig, I guess.

but it's not terribly (or even a little) portable, and it's not even wired at
all at the moment, and I'd like to build a go-kart with my son that has
suddenly been moved to the front of the project list. I wanted a dedicated mig
anyway (that could be moved around the garage, so I didn't have to get a
bajillion-foot lead). I could just get a buzz box from home depot, but I'd like
a nice machine that could handle almost anything I could want to do. if it's
huge or aluminum I'll break out the tig. but I'd like a 'nice' mig I can hang
onto, pass down to the kid, etc. this seems to me to be like air
compressors--get bigger than you need now, etc., etc. but I've got a monster if
I ever need it, so I don't need the ne plus ultra. but yeah, I'd like it to
handle larger-than-just-tiny-stuff.

so, I thought the 180. but I really don't have a good reason for that. juse
seemed nice. but I learned to weld in a fabrication shop and I'll bet that's
made me spoiled. I don't want to screw around with low duty cycles or crap
stuff. well, to a certain extent, yes, I expect less form a smaller welder, but
we used a lincoln (or hobart--it was red) 110 (or something) buzz box once and
it was horrible. I'd like to stay away from that stuff.

anybody got a180 and like it? or a 212?

thanks.