Re: [Shop-talk] Quick question on garage floors and garage lifts

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Quick question on garage floors and garage lifts
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:34:12 -0700
> No e-mail then either, though.

You didn't hang out in the right places.  The UNIX system with ARPANET
access was over in the EE building.  Some heated discussions as I recall,
over the EE department having it instead of the Math dept.

> If you were lucky, though, you might get to use one of the two
> IBM 029 card punches rather than the 026's.

Which were entertaining, because they had been modified to punch 026 code
instead of 029 code.  The basic numbers and letters were the same, but the
special characters were different; making my 029 card decks from high school
nearly useless.

> When I returned for grad school a few years later (1973), there were
> remote terminals to directly input FORTRAN programs at a few campus
> locations.

Ah yes, the Purdue Remote Online Computing SYstem, aka PROCSY.  I spent
many, many hours using it; that might have been better spent studying,
sleeping, etc.

Some things never change.

Randall