Re: [Shop-talk] Spark plugs in regular cars

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Spark plugs in regular cars
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 15:28:34 -0800
On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 05:07:02PM -0600, Karl Vacek wrote:
> Time to replace spark plugs in the everyday cars.  Close to 60K on each and
> never missed a beat since we've had them, but it seems like a good idea - and
> yes, I've regretted that statement before   =8~0

Are you sure its time?  Lots of car now come with "100k" mile plugs.
I am pretty sure the Yukon is one- my 2001 GMC C3 pickup had them.

> Since plain old OEM plugs seem to hold up so well nowadays that's my usual
> choice.  Is there any other advantage to platinums besides life ?

They handle high temps better and stay sharp longer.  That makes
it easier for the spark to form.

> Is there anything new in plugs that's worthwhile ?  I saw some
> double-side-electrode plugs at one of the chain parts stores the other day
> (don't remember the brand).  They looked like aviation massive-electrode
> plugs.  But don't multiple electrodes require an ignition system to match
> their power needs ?

No.  Generally the spark goes to which ever ground electrode has
the lowest resistance.

If your car calls for multiple electrode plugs, get them.  Otherwise don't
bother.  Avoid plugs that aren't from well established manufacturers.
I know a guy who put Splitfires in a vintage Indian and melted a piston.
Apparently they run hotter than indicated.  Oops.

I have had good luck with NGKs, ACs and Bosch plugs.

Eric