Re: [Shop-talk] xmas lights that don't suck?

To: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] xmas lights that don't suck?
From: Bill Rabel <brabel@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 10:16:16 -0800
The incandescent 'mini-lights' have driven me crazy for years. The
packaging assures you that if one bulb burns out the whole string will
stay lit. However, the problem arises from a broken or intermittent
contact where the bulb plugs in. This WILL extinguish a section.

I have converted completely to LED strings, as suggested by another
response. Every joint is soldered, so there are no fluky contacts.
They run cool, use less power, and seem to be more durable than the
old incandescent strings. Strangely, they come labeled with the same
warning to limit plugging more than three in series. This seems too
conservative, as they draw far less current than the old-style bulbs.

Fortunately, I have a self-imposed rule to not begin decorating for
another couple of weeks.

- Bill Rabel
   Anacortes, WA