Re: [Shop-talk] xmas lights that don't suck?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] xmas lights that don't suck?
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 21:55:23 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008, Bill Rabel wrote:
> I have converted completely to LED strings, as suggested by another
> response. Every joint is soldered, so there are no fluky contacts. They
> run cool, use less power, and seem to be more durable than the old
> incandescent strings. Strangely, they come labeled with the same warning
> to limit plugging more than three in series. This seems too
> conservative, as they draw far less current than the old-style bulbs.

So I picked up some LED lights at Target (bonus, no annoying bell
ringers). Phillips 60 bulb multi-colored LEDs.

These things look identical to regular filament setups. Same style plug,
same extra wires as part of the strand, etc. Presumably something is doing
a conversion from AC to DC for the leds? Where is that done? There aren't
AC LEDs are there? It can't be in the plug itself I don't think, since you
can either plug them into the wall or into the end of the next string. The
bulbs appear to have a polarity, so it must be in each socket? That's
pretty crazy.

More importantly, if you pull one of the bulbs, half the strand dies,
which isn't really something I want.

Are there different styles of LED xmas lights?

Mark