Re: [Shop-talk] Multi zone heating....? (and variable speed fan

To: "PJ McGarvey" <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Multi zone heating....? (and variable speed fan
From: "Trevor Boicey" <trevor@boicey.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 00:23:22 -0500 (EST)
> I was the one that asked the question back in July, and I did get one
> private response, but I have lost the email.  I don't believe anyone
> responded to the list.

  (I'll cc the list to see if anyone else can contribute)

  Was your original question about the availability of square dampers? If
so, yes they are out there, I can give you links if you decide to pursue
it again.

  I haven't done anything yet, but I have traced enough of my ducts to
know that I can get three zones pretty easily. Basement as a zone,
ground and upper floors as a zone, and a sunroom-style addition as a
zone. It's the latter that is the most troublesome, as it loses so much
heat it's pretty much unusable in the winter unless I leave the door
open and the furnace fan on.

  So if I limit myself to the above, I can put all the dampers in the
furnace room right where they all diverge, simplest installation.

  If I could though, I would like to separate the ground floor from the
upstairs, but that might be hard to do based on where I think the ducts
go. That might require putting the dampers at the exits of the ducts,
and fishing the wires back down the ducts to the controllers. Maybe not
as a first step.

  That's about where I sit. I am just about to order the kit, but I might
not get all the dampers right away. I might just run it as a very
expensive digital thermostat with three screens, but it would be an
upgrade from the mechanical one this house came with until I get my
stuff together.

  I would also like to replace my fan motor with a variable speed one,
which the Envirazone can apparently control.

  Does anybody know how these work? The envirazone surely only has low
voltage control, can I get a generic variable speed motor, bolt it where
mine is, and somehow wire that up?