Re: [Shop-talk] Multi zone heating....? (and variable speed fan

To: <kturk@adelphia.net>, Graham Hatfield <ghatfiel@bigpond.net.au>,
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Multi zone heating....? (and variable speed fan
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 23:17:25 -0800
>   I would also like to replace my fan motor with a variable
> speed one, which the Envirazone can apparently control.

Not sure if it's the right panel, but the wiring instructions I found at
http://tinyurl.com/6k56tl
seem to indicate that it's not equipped to control a variable speed fan.  A
comment at
http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=117795
seems to say the same thing.

However, you could probably rig it to use 3 separate speeds, by using the
second and third stage heat outputs (assuming you aren't already using them
to control the heat).

>   Does anybody know how these work? The envirazone surely
> only has low voltage control, can I get a generic variable
> speed motor, bolt it where mine is, and somehow wire that up?

To do as I've suggested, you'd need to wire some 24v relays into the motor's
speed control.  Shouldn't be too hard for a conventional multi-speed motor;
but I'm not sure how to do it for a variable speed.  I assume that, for a
variable speed motor, you would also need some sort of electronic control
(eg VFD), which would probably take an analog voltage as input.  So you'd
need to wire those relays  to provide a stepped voltage (eg switch resistors
in series).

Randall