[Shop-talk] Networked home wiring

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Networked home wiring
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:35:46 -0600
There's an article in the latest Popular Mechanics about networkable house
wiring - switches and receptacles that have network addresses and communicate
either through the house wiring or through RF.

I've long heard about the X10 stuff, but this sounds more useful.  I don't
care about making the coffee pot come on via the Internet while I'm 3
countries away - but adding additional 2-way switches and switched receptacles
without stuffing more wires into full conduits - that's great !!

Has anyone here used any of these devices ?  Can you comment on reliability
and ease of use ?  I don't something that will leave us in the dark till I
replace it, or worse, baffle my wife.  Any brand recommendations ?

Thanks!
Karl

Life is like a jar of jalapenos --
  What you do today might