Re: [Shop-talk] Networked home wiring

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Networked home wiring
From: "Rex Burkheimer" <burkheimer@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 13:42:42 -0600
I dabbled with X10 stuff a few years ago, still have some switches installed.
I found the inside switches to be cheap. Buy the levelor paddle
switches.  The X10 switches break off the tops pretty quick. You can
still work them manually without it. We quit using the remotes years
ago.

Quirk - *something* turns on the living room lights around 7:00 most
evenings. I guess it's a line spike or something. We consider it a
random security feature ;)

One thing that is usefull, good value, and well made are their outside
motion-sensor floodlight units. each one will activate up to 4 other
X10 devices. So you can have one on the driveway that is off until
someone walks up. then it comes on, and then turns on the porch light,
a 2nd floodlight, and maybe an inside bell and even your bedside table
lamp if you like.
A 2nd motion sensor light can control a separate set of 4, uncluding
some of the same ones the first one does.

Mine are 8 years old and have become unreliable. I am going to try to
buy just the controllers.
The  cost of the lights was $79.95 for a pair back then.

I'd suggest avoiding the X10.com website. it's Spam City, Popups out the wazoo.
Buy from Smarthome, even if it's a little more.