Re: [Shop-talk] GPS experiences ?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] GPS experiences ?
From: "Bob Kegel" <bobkegel@seanet.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:27:20 -0800
I have a Garmin GPSmap 60C which works quite well for backcountry
navigation. If it has a slow processor, I haven't noticed at walking speed.

For vehicle navigation, I have a Garmin Nuvi 370 and love it.  As noted,
there will be errors in the base map. In my area these seem to consist of
dead-ends rendered as through streets.  When I decline the unit's
instructions it quickly figures out a new route, saying "recalculating" in
resentful tone.

The 370 has a Bluetooth interface for cell phones and plays MP3's and
Audible recorded books. It also has a plug-in receiver for traffic updates.
The service doesn't cover us out here in the sticks but it seems to work
well when I venture out to the big city.

I take the Nuvi to work, sticking it to the windshield of the company car
every morning.  The suction cup mount broke after about a year of this and I
replaced it with the appropriate fitting for the Ram Mount I already had.

Bob Kegel
Aberdeen, WA