Re: [Shop-talk] Stoves

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Stoves
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 13:21:49 -0600
Ours isn't hard to repair.

With our 2005 KitchenAid, the whole thing is a unit that drops into the
counter, and it's just over 3" thick as I recall.  Not horribly heavy, and
we have a 36", 5-burner unit.  The top glass assembly is a piece of glass
adhered onto a stamped sheetmetal angle frame piece - the sheet steel angle
is what actually hangs on the counter, with the glued-on glass being all you
see on top.

To change a burner, you remove the (2 as I recall) screws holding the unit
down into the countertop, and lift the unit out.  Remove a dozen or so
screws around the periphery and lift the top assembly off.  Then all the
burners and controls are right there in the open.

I had to change a glass, and then the whole unit it after installing it -
the first unit was banged in shipment and was warped so it wouldn't sit
flat.  They sent a new glass but that didn't do the trick, so then they sent
another whole unit.  ISTR it took me maybe 10 minutes to pull the unit and
remove the glass.  A little longer to reinstall because the only gasket is
some strip foam to seal the outer edge of the galss to the countertop to
keep spils from running down into the cabinet.  You have to install those
long foam strips onto the glaass and that took me longer than the rest of
the installation.

Karl

PS - To clean, you just scrape off burned-on gook with a razor blade and
then polish it with either some cooktop cleaner (they gave us a sample
bottle with the original unit and another with the replacement - we haven't
bought any more yet) or else spray-on granite cleaner that my buddy the
granite guy gave me.  Takes some rubbing, but it's waaaay easier and faster
than cleaning a spill out of an electric or gas stove.  No nooks and
crannies - just a flat piece of glass.