Re: [Shop-talk] Epoxy recommendations?

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Epoxy recommendations?
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 19:38:56 -0500
On Jan 25, 2009, at 3:04 PM, John T. Blair wrote:

> Jim,
>
> While this isn't an answer to your question, your dishwasher is 8
> yrs old and
> broke.  Fom my experience, they aren't worth the trouble to try and
> fix.

I disagreed, so I went ahead and JB Welded it. The good news is the
epoxy held, even though it squeezed out of a previously invisible
hairline fracture in the plastic shaft that was clearly the problem.
Bad news is there were two shouldered rubber gaskets with plastic
washers inside them fixed (or so I thought) on the shaft. Once I
cleaned the shaft there was no more grease to hold them on the shaft
and they escaped. I have no idea how they were oriented on the shaft
and the online parts manual shows a different (updated?) sealing
mechanism.

So I need to buy a new motor anyway because no matter how I orient the
seals, it leaks. Bah.

jim