Re: [Shop-talk] Diesel vs. gas engines

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Diesel vs. gas engines
From: Brian C Kennedy <kennedybc@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 20:21:25 -0800
High mileage: I'm waiting for a diesel hybrid. Today's gas engines go a long
way as well. Our '86 Mercury Grand Marquis, small block V8 died at 260,000
miles, motor still going strong. Our '96 Explorer, same small block V8,
still going strong at 235,000 miles ago. Many years ago when Taxis were
mostly Plymouths, I asked the driver how long they kept them. He said
400,000 miles, but they put in a short block at about 250,000. Today's Taxi
is a Mercury, Lincoln or Ford and the owner happens to drive me to the
airport. He says they keep them about 3 years and up to 500,000 miles. He
says they have virtually no problem with the engines, other than the usual
little things. He also said, somewhat to my surprise, that the transmissions
go that far as well. He has a fleet of 18 cars. Of course, I read a long
time ago that 90% of engine wear occurs in the first minute as the oil gets
distributed and keeping them at operating temperature most of the time, like
Taxis do, helps a lot.
Brian