[Shop-talk] Diesel vs. gas engines

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Diesel vs. gas engines
From: <nogera2@att.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 12:05:31 -0600
I was just reading a newsletter sent out by a local car radio show host (who
pimps for some local dealers). In discussing Diesel engines in cars he lists
one of the advantages as the fact the engine will last up to 500,000 miles.
I remember reading some time ago that the legendary long life of Diesel
engines was not the fuel type but rather that truck manufactures built
Diesel engines to very high tolerances and designed the basic engine, at
much higher cost, for long life given the high mileage and type of use it
will receive. That diesels used in automobiles are built to the same
standards as regular engines and should last only as long as a normal
gasoline engine.

Given the conflicting information I now turn to the source I know I can
trust,  are the diesel engines used in cars as long lived as the
tractor-trailer engines?  ( Of course lets discount the diesels GM made for
car use in the 1980s, we know they were all bad).

Bob