[Shop-talk] Removable chain link fence post?

To: "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Removable chain link fence post?
From: "cornerexit" <cornerexit@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 23:59:27 -0800
I am putting in a short section of chain link fence and a 5' gate to span
the distance between the corner of my house and the wood perimeter fence.
The 5' gate will work 95% of the time as I can get a riding lawnmower,
wheelbarrow etc through it. However, there "might" be times where I need to
get a larger item (tractor, pickup) through this span to get into the
backyard. I don't really want to put two larger gates in across this span
since I have the 5 footer already from a previous project.

My thought was that if I ever needed a larger opening I could unfasten the
chain link mesh from the chain link gate post and just roll it back to where
it is fastened to the wood fence. However, it looks like the span from the
chain link gate post to the wood fence is a little too long to make it
without another chain link post put in the middle of that distance to
properly support the mesh.

I'm wonder about the possibility of sinking some type of sleeve or pipe in
the ground and slipping the middle chain link post into that pipe. The
theory being that the post could be lifted out and removed if I ever need to
roll the mesh back and open a passageway. Has anybody done something like
this? How did it work out?

I wonder if there is already a properly sized sleeve or pipe just for this
purpose. I think the chain link posts are 2.25" or so in diameter but I will
have to double check that.

Thanks

Wayne