[Shop-talk] Painting Plastic/Bakelite

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Painting Plastic/Bakelite
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 22:23:45 -0500
--===============0796614684==

--_12b800ae-1f64-4b60-8bfe-77b9556a09ed_

I am trying to paint the Bakelite steering wheel surround on my 1966 Alpine=
=2C but not having much luck.  The surround is in good shape=2C just weathe=
red from 43 years in the sun. I wet sanded it with 400 grit paper and got a=
 nice smooth surface that should have taken appropriate paint well.  The fi=
rst one I tried was Rust-oleum Universal.  In theory=2C that should have be=
en perfect=2C but it produced an awful=2C very thick=2C almost hammered fin=
ish.  I stripped this off (using CitruStrip=2C which seems to work very wel=
l on the old plastic) and tried again=2C this time with Valspar Plastic pai=
nt.  I got almost the same result (and I suspect it is almost the same pain=
t)=2C but not quite as bad.  Back to the  Citrustrip=2C and then one more t=
ry with the Valspar=2C trying to be very light with the paint.  It was litt=
le better than the first two attempts=2C but far from acceptable.  Before I=
 try again with a third brand=2C can anyone recommend either a good techniq=
ue for using the Universal or Valspar paint=2C or a paint that will produce=
 a nice smooth durable finish on Bakelite?

Thanks.

Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for Hotmail=AE=
.=20
http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/LearnMore/personalize.aspx?ocid=3DTXT_MS=
GTX_WL_HM_express_032009#colortheme=

--_12b800ae-1f64-4b60-8bfe-77b9556a09ed_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>
I am trying to paint the Bakelite steering wheel surround on my 1966 Alpine=
=2C but not having much luck.&nbsp=3B The surround is in good shape=2C just=
 weathered from 43 years in the sun. I wet sanded it with 400 grit paper an=
d got a nice smooth surface that should have taken appropriate paint well.&=
nbsp=3B The first one I tried was Rust-oleum Universal.&nbsp=3B In theory=
=2C that should have been perfect=2C but it produced an awful=2C very thick=
=2C almost hammered finish.&nbsp=3B I stripped this off (using CitruStrip=
=2C which seems to work very well on the old plastic) and tried again=2C th=
is time with Valspar Plastic paint.&nbsp=3B I got almost the same result (a=
nd I suspect it is almost the same paint)=2C but not quite as bad.&nbsp=3B =
Back to the  Citrustrip=2C and then one more try with the Valspar=2C trying=
 to be very light with the paint.&nbsp=3B It was little better than the fir=
st two attempts=2C but far from acceptable.&nbsp=3B Before I try again with=
 a third brand=2C can anyone recommend either a good technique for using th=
e Universal or Valspar paint=2C or a paint that will produce a nice smooth =
onality in color! Preview and select themes for Hotmail=AE.  <a href=3D'htt=
p://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/LearnMore/personalize.aspx?ocid=3DTXT_MSGTX=
_WL_HM_express_032009#colortheme' target=3D'_new'>See how.</a></body>