Re: [Shop-talk] Painting Plastic/Bakelite

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Painting Plastic/Bakelite
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 07:35:17 -0400
At 11:23 PM 3/11/2009, Jim Stone wrote:

 >I am trying to paint the Bakelite steering wheel surround on my
1966 Alpine, but
 >not having much luck.....

 >Before I try again with a third brand, can anyone recommend either a good
 >technique for using the Universal or Valspar paint, or a paint that
will produce a
 >nice smooth durable finish on Bakelite?

Jim,

I did a google search for painting bakelite and got some 142,000  hits.

The few I look at really didn't give any preferences for a paint.  But it might
be worth looking at several of them.

Also, if you used paint stripper, I assume that you really cleaned
the wheel with
soap and water to get rid of the stripper.  Also did you spray or brush on the
paint.  Brushing it will not give the nice results of spraying it.

If you don't have a compressor, you can purchase a disposable spray system,
that consists of a can of air and a glass paint jar with an arisol
button on the
top.  These work quite well.  For small items like a steering wheel, you can
also use an airbrush if you have one.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229