Re: [Shop-talk] building a mag drill

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] building a mag drill
From: Todd Walke <racertod@racertodd.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 17:56:46 -0700
John wrote:

>there are times when you need a mag drill and nothing else will do... but
>the 300-2000 dollar price tag is difficult to pay when you need it twice a
>year... wonder what would be involved in building on ???   fabricating an
>electromagnet ???  substituting something that will BE an electromagnet ???
>attaching a drill is just fabrication mostly but the base has me stumped...

         These companies make electromagnets in various sizes.  Shouldn't
be too hard to find one that has the holding capacity you need and fab up a
way to attach a drill.  Note the power requirements, you'll need a DC power
source for most of them.

http://www.magnetechcorp.com/
http://www.apwcompany.com/emagnet.html
http://www.aecmagnetics.com/
<http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3060435>
www.eBay.com - search for electromagnet, there's a bunch...

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 268,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       198,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a new
home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff