Re: [Shop-talk] pressure reducing valve

To: scott.hall@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] pressure reducing valve
From: Roland Wilhelmy <rwil@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:28:58 -0700
My guess is that scott's system  had a pump control that was cranked
up to 70 psi shut-off pressure or maybe even higher in an effort to
store more water/pressure per pump cycle.  Then the pressure reducer
was to send water to the house at more or less standard pressure
(perhaps  40psi?).  Scott's pressure reducer should be adjustable to
give him higher house pressure, although he can get full pressure by
leaving it out of the line.  The only drawback that I can see (based
on our second home's pressure tank and booster pump from an 8000
gallon storage tank on the hil) is that his house pressure will vary
without the prv valve between whatever the limits are set on his pump.
When I take a shower I can tell the difference between 40 and 60 psi,
but it's not a big deal.

Our pressure tank as a relief valve built into it.  No other relief
valve 'downstream'.  Maybe Scott's tank has one, too.

-Roland