Re: [Shop-talk] adhesives.........

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, Steve Hammatt Mount Vernon WA
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] adhesives.........
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 09:58:30 -0700 (PDT)
I small drip of CA glue is probably as good as anything, and will be easier to
apply hundreds of time than epoxy would be.

But the problem here is that the
end of a brad has very little area for glue to adhere to, so I doubt that any
glue will greatly increase the strength of a properly-fitting push nut.

If
the end of the brad could be mushroomed a bit without damaging anything, that
might make it more secure.

Doug

--- On Wed, 4/1/09, Steve Hammatt Mount

WA USA <gsteve@hammatt.com>
"Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
> Date: Wednesday, April 1, 2009, 11:33
AM
> I'm attaching some light metal pieces
> to thick leather.  Afterwards the
backside of the
> leather will not be accessible.  I'm using a brad with
push nut. See here:
> http://www.mcmaster.com/#push-nuts/=198uxq
> it is very
small (1/16" shaft on the brad).  After
> installation, I clip the end of the
brad as close to the
> Push Nut as possible so that the leather will be near
flat
> when finished.
>
> Before closing the backside I'm thinking, for extra
> security, to add some sort of adhesive.  I have
> hundreds of these to do,
so I'm also looking to keeping it
> simple.
> My question is:  what type of
adhesive would best
> assure no movement of the Push Nut.  I cannot afford to
> have it come loose.  What I'm effectively trying to do
> is lock the Push
Nut on the shaft of the brad.
> Any suggestions?
> Steve Hammatt