Re: [Shop-talk] water heaters and hot water loops?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] water heaters and hot water loops?
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 01:35:39 +0000 (UTC)
well...I'm not doing that *exact* thing, but I'm pretty sure understanding what
he's doing will help me with what I'm doing.

I'd like to put a passive loop in, and I'd like to use a solar roof unit to
heat the water in an electric water heater with the bottom element unplugged.
that will connect to the passive loop.

branching off that passive (and very well insulated loop) will be a instant
heater. or several, actually. one for the master bath, and one or more for the
other bathrooms and kitchen. I'm just trying to get the idea of the
post-instant heater plumbing down. I really don't understand what the guy is
doing in that article. I understand the concepts and the problems he's trying
to solve, I mean I literally don't get how to plumb it. for example, looking at
my electric heater, I have an 'in' and an 'out'. his schematic seems to have
three ports and they're not in/out specific, apparently.

why am I doing this? mostly because I can and I think it'd be cool to have
cheap (operationally, not installation cost) instant hot water, and more
importantly, because it'd make my wife happy. the goal is to never run out of
hot water for what it's costing us to heat the water now or less. also because
the shower fixture she's picked out for the master bath will have a one inch
(each) supply for hot and cold water. I'm not kidding. one inch in for hot and
cold, each. it feeds six individual fixtures and it controlled by something
that resembles an overgrown i-pod.