[Shop-talk] Leaky rivets

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Leaky rivets
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 21:28:58 -0500
My MGTC's rear axle housing is a partially riveted assembly.  A few rivets
were leaking when I took it apart, and now that it's stripped and mostly
clean, I have a good chance to seal all of the rivets.

Knowing that there's bound to be some oil still in there, I figured I'd flow
silver solder under the rivet heads.  Nice theory, but the silver solder (I
used some Harris Sil-Foss that I had) spreads out onto the axle surface faster
than it goes under the rivets and it took me forever to grind off the excess
on the several I did.

I suppose I can get it clean enough in there to flow in regular soft solder,
which at least will clean off easier, but I expect cleaning and soldering it
to be a struggle with the residual oil.  Brake cleaner, etc. seems to
eventually get most of it out, but it still doesn't seem clean enough for
regular solder.

What else might flow into there, not be bothered by a little residual oil, and
seal the rivets ?

Thanks !
Karl