Re: [Shop-talk] solar pool heater

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] solar pool heater
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 18:00:14 -0400
On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Doug Braun<doug@dougbraun.com> wrote:
> I don't have a pool, but I am wondering: B Isn't a pool already getting good
solar heating from the sun simply shining on it? B Even if a pool is
light-colored, it probably absorbs about 50% if the light hitting it. B So
adding a separate collector with something like 15% of the pool's area
wouldn't make a huge difference int he water temperature.

Pools absorb most (75% +/- ) the heat available in sunglight.  The
advantage of a solar heater is that it increases the area available
for isolation, and they're usually aranged to get more sunlight.  They
point south, and are tilted for effective solar collection.  Most
pools don't get sunlight all day, but people's solar heaters do.

\
> I would think that a dark-colored pool cover would be far more effective,
since it would absorb a lot more sunlight, and prevent evaporative cooling
(and water loss).

Dark covers are actually less efficient than transparent ones, but
more so than light colored ones.  Most heat loss from pools is by
evaporatiion, and any cover (even just a tarp) cuts that down a lot.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com