Re: [Shop-talk] solar pool heater

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] solar pool heater
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 07:23:35 -0700 (PDT)
I don't have a pool, but I am wondering:  Isn't a pool already getting good
solar heating from the sun simply shining on it?  Even if a pool is
light-colored, it probably absorbs about 50% if the light hitting it.  So
adding a separate collector with something like 15% of the pool's area wouldn't
make a huge difference int he water temperature.

I would think that a dark-colored pool cover would be far more effective, since
it would absorb a lot more sunlight, and prevent evaporative cooling (and water
loss).

Doug