Re: [Shop-talk] 220 outlets

To: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 220 outlets
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 00:20:48 -0400
On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 11:59 PM, David C.<cavanadd@verizon.net> wrote:
> Most of my power tools (table saw, jointer, etc) are 220.  Some of them
are
> on independent circuits- the big 12" table saw, the welder, air
compressor,
> lathe, mill.  Some of the other stuff- radial arm saws, bandsaw, jointer,
> etc have several outlets on one circuit.  I just brought home a spindle
> shaper today, and it's 220, too, which got me to counting; I have at least
> 12 220 volt tools in the shop.  I don't think I have enough room in the
> panel for that many two pole breakers unless I replace a bunch of them
with
> skinny breakers.  I suppose I could also put in a sub panel. For what it's
> worth, I'm the only one that uses the shop and normally only one tool is
> ever being run at one time, except the compressor which is on it's own
> breaker.
>
> Thoughts?

Unless you live somewhere where there's a requirement that 220 devices have
their own outlet, there's no reason you can't have more than one on the same
circuit.  An N amp 220 breaker will trip when > N amps are drawn on the
circuit, same as a 120 V breaker.  (There are places that require that
houshold 240 loads have a single outlet per circuit.  That's silly, but the
code makers get to make the rules.  )

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com