Re: [Shop-talk] Micrometers

To: "Shop Talk List" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Micrometers
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 10:30:23 -0400
OK, I have a few of these Calipers and they work great, except that the
indicators arenbt accurate and they are non-adjustable.

Here is a link to a photo that I put on my website to define the problem
Ibm having.

<http://www.megageek.com/photo/photoa~1.nsf/a7ffeab012bbfb5b85256eb1007ca7f6/1270fe034ea0feea85257660004f08aa?OpenDocument>

In the picture, the OD measurement of bAb should be the exact same as the
ID measurement of bB.b  But they are not.  This means that as I measure a
piston and the cylinder bore, Ibm not getting a good result (the bore is
coming up SMALLER than the piston diameter.)

These do work great for measurements of the same ID or ID objects however.

So what I need to find is a way to make sure the calipers are bcorrectb
before I buy them.
Any suggestions?

Moose
bBe as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.b Ralph
Waldo Emerson